Thursday 17 January 2013

Inside the January Rubybox

I have mixed feelings about the box this month.  For the last two months the boxes were really not as nice as they used to be and I hoped this box would be better.

Most of the things in this box are products I am excited to use, but the box is not worth that much in monetary value.



 

Alila Professional Make-up Fix that Makeup Spray
According to the card:  A few spritzes ofver your makeup in the morning (and thrughut the day) will ensure your nakeup remains smudge-proof and in palce despite the heat.
This is a fairly expensive product (R130 for 150 ml) that I would never have bought.  It would be fun to try.  I wonder whether you can use this over your eye makeup?  Or should you not spritz close to your eyes.  I do not wear much makeup other than around my eyes.

Aussie 3 minute miracle frizz remedy deep treatment
According to the card: Dont let frizz or flyaways get the better of you this summer.  After shampooing apply for one to three minutes before rinsing.
I do not have particularly frizzy hair, but I live in Durban and anything to keep your hair manageable would be appreciated.  The sample is also relatively large (2 sachets of 20 ml each).  This one I like and look forward to trying.

L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Total Repair 10 SPF20
A cute little pot of moisturiser.  I love receiving moisturisers in the boxes and would love trying this.  I also like the fact that it comes in a little pot and not in a fiddly, messy sachet.  I vowed to only use moisturisers with an SPF built in from now on, so this is a good one to try.

Schwarzkopf Gliss Marrakesh Oil and Coconut shampoo and Conditioner
Two small sachets, one shampoo and one conditioner.  This shampoo seems very affordable, so I might be able to replace my current shampoo with this .  The shampoo was enough for one wash only and it is a bit hard to judge on just one use.  I liked it, my hair was soft and managable all day.  Unfortunately I went swimming in the afternoon, so did not have the benefit of the shampoo for long.  I am happy with what I am currently using, but trying something new can't hurt.  I might buy the full bottle. 

Rubybox Tools Make-up Removal Tools
Rubybox sells a toolkit.  With the exception of the eye lash curler, I have now received everything in the tool kit.  (Hi Rubybox, if you read this, I would love to receive an eye lash curler, please.)  I use these sponges, and do not have one at the moment.  I will definitely use this.  The sponges are very soft and work really well.  Good !

A voucher
I have never been excited about the vouchers in the boxes, but this one is nice and I might actually use it.  R20 discount on a Piz Buin product at Clicks. 



Why am I torn about this box?
When I signed up for Rubybox they promised a box to the value of R250 every month on the website where I signed up.  There are always things in the box I do not use or would not have spent money on so I think the box needs to be worth more than R100 before it makes sense to spend money on it.  I calculate this box to be worth R91 (and if I end up using the voucher, R111).  I am not sure whether that makes Rubybox a worthwhile spend. 

Sure, I get to try things I have not tried before and if any of the products are great surpises and change my routine, this might be a reason to continue.  Previous Rubyboxes have introduced me to liquid eye liners, a hair protector spray, Kiehls and Palmers coco butter cream that I love and use a lot and have bought since.  If Rubybox keeps doing that it might be worth continuing just for the fun, not for the value of the products.  But I could just use the R100 per month and spoil myself with something I really want.  None of the products in this month's box is so expensive that I would not be able to have bought it and tried it in stead of getting the box.  However, if they gave small samples of really expensive products it would be different, because I would get to try the expensive products without wasting money on something I would not like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment