Wednesday 29 August 2012

REN, Mayblossom Balancing cleansing gel

 Formerly known as Mayblossom Balancing Cleansing Gel, this product now has a new name.
REN skincare is an American company who sells only 100% natural skincare products.  They avoid synthetic fragrance and colour, PEGS, parabens and propylene glycol.   REN is skincare as it should be: each product uses the latest hi-tech bio actives, is free from skin-unfriendly synthetic ingredients, and is gorgeously pleasurable to use.  In a world where more and more consumers are asking for natural products this is one company to try out. 
The REN website describe this product as
A balancing, antibacterial facial cleansing gel for skin that is prone to oiliness and breakouts, particularly in the T-zone.

Results:
  • Removes dirt and dissolves excess sebum
  • Unclogs pores
  • Reduces the appearance of pore size
  • Antimicrobial and antibacterial
How to use:

Gently rub between hands. Massage onto face. Rinse off with warm water.
It contains the following bio extracts:
  • Flavonoids from mayblossom decongest the skin
  • Salicilin from willow bark provides mild exfoliation and antimicrobiol properties to purify problem skin, reduce pore size and minimise spot formation
  • Guaiazulene from blue cypress essential oil calms redness and soothes minor irritations
What it is formulated to do:
This luxurious gel works to balance the complexion, remove dirt, and dissolve excess sebum. The bio active extract of mayblossom provides skin with flavinoid nutrients as it works to decongest the skin.
What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates
- GMOs
- Triclosan

My experience:  I liked the smell of the gel.  It smells vaguely like a herb, plant, outside and maybe a little like weeds, but all in a good clean and natural way.  It did not feel like the product cleaned my skin.  If I used a little bit of gel, my skin still felt oily after cleaning.  Using a lot of gel improved the situation, and then my skin felt clean.  But I mean using quite a lot, about double the amount of gel I normally use.  I do not have a particularly oily skin, and found it weird that a product meant for oily skin would leave my skin feeling oily.  On the plus side, it definitely did not leave my skin dried out or feeling stiff.  Some of the reviews I saw for this mentioned that this product was great for sensitive skin and people prone to breakouts.  Since I am neither, I could probably wash my skin with dishwashing liquid and not get a reaction, I am not the person to speak to that.
I got the one I used at Red Square, but I am not sure whether they still sell it.  REN is also sold by Woolworths.  It cost around R270 for a very large bottle. 
Some reviews from Sephora and Beauty  Bulletin can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment